* l-Carnitine is an amino acid found abundantly in skeletal and heart muscle. It functions primarily to support fat utilization, and also acts as a carrier of fatty acids into the mitochondria, where they are oxidized and converted to energy. l-carnitine also facilitates the removal of short and medium chain fatty acids from the mitochondria that accumulate during normal metabolic processes. A randomized double blind, placebo-controlled trial of l-carnitine involving 101 volunteers indicated that l-carnitine maintained healthy cardiac enzymes including lipid peroxides and lactate dehydrogenase. In combination with other cardiovascular support agents, l-carnitine supported ventricular function and superoxide dismutase enzyme activity in human volunteers. Long-term l-carnitine supplementation indicated positive support for cardiovascular health after a 3-year follow-up in adult subjects. A recent placebo-controlled clinical study conducted at Ball State University in Indiana has found that l-carnitine-l-tartrate supplementation helps physical recovery from high intensity exercise. l-carnitine-l-tartrate contains 68% pure l-carnitine and 32% natural l-tartaric acid.
l-carnitine-l-tartrate is a highly stabilized form of l-carnitine supporting cardiovascular health and recovery from exercise.
- each vegetarian capsule contains:
- l-carnitine (free-form)340 mg.
- (from 500 mg. of l-carnitine-l-tartrate)
- ascorbyl palmitate12 mg.
- other ingredients: hypoallergenic plant fiber (cellulose), vegetarian capsule (cellulose, water)
- 2–4 capsules per day, in divided doses, between meals.