*Iron is an important component of hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells that delivers oxygen to tissues throughout the body. It is also a part of myoglobin, a protein that helps muscle cells store oxygen, and ferritin, the body's main iron storage protein found in the intestines, liver and spleen. Iron bound to ferritin is readily mobilized to meet the body's demands. Ferrochel® brand iron bis-glycinate was developed using unique patented chemistry, allowing it to be absorbed rapidly from the lumen of the intestines into mucosal cells and then released for transport throughout the body. The intestinal mucosal tissue tightly controls the release of Ferrochel, supporting the safety profile of this iron amino acid chelate. In a double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial, iron supplementation supported healthy ferritin levels and enhanced energy and well-being in female subjects. A recent report emphasizes the importance of maintaining healthy serum ferritin for optimal performance in elite female athletes. In another randomized trial, iron supplementation or a high iron diet supported mental health and moderated fatigue in women of childbearing age. Ester-C® is a natural, non-acidic water-soluble form of vitamin C that is distinguished by its unique chemical composition and biological activity. It is manufactured in an exclusive, water-based process that results in a mixture of naturally occurring vitamin C metabolites, including ascorbate, dehydroascorbate, and threonate. Vitamin C aids in the absorption of iron and the formation of red blood cells. Research indicates that vitamin C supports healthy hemoglobin levels.
OptiFerin contains Ferrochel® iron bis-glycinate, a highly specialized iron amino acid chelate, combined with Ester-C® mineral ascorbates to enhance absorption.
Ferrochel® amino acid chelate is a registered trademark of Albion Laboratories, Inc. U.S. Patents 4,830,716; 4,599,152.
Ester-C® or Ester-C® logo are registered trademarks of The Ester C Company. This product may be covered by one or more of the following U.S. patents: 4,822,816; 5,070,085; 6,878,744 and corresponding foreign patents. Other U.S. and foreign patents pending.
- each vegetarian capsule contains:
- vitamin C (from calcium ascorbate blend)100 mg.
- calcium (from calcium ascorbate blend)11 mg.
- iron (as iron bis-glycinate)28 mg.
- threonic acid (from calcium ascorbate blend)1 mg.
- ascorbyl palmitate (fat-soluble vitamin C)10 mg.
- other ingredients: hypoallergenic plant fiber (cellulose), vegetarian capsule (cellulose, water)
- WARNING: Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under 6. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
- 1–3 capsules per day, in divided doses, with meals.