The adrenal glands secrete cortisol in a 24-hour cycle (circadian rhythm), with the highest amount released in the morning and lowest amount released at night. Certain situations such as stressful events, skipping or delaying meals, or sleep
disruptions can cause the adrenals to secrete excess cortisol. Abnormal cortisol levels can have widespread effects
throughout the body and may contribute to a wide range of health conditions, but treatment options are available if these
abnormalities are detected.
The Adrenal Stress test may be helpful for individuals with :
• Chronic stress and stress-related health problems
• Fatigue or lack of energy
• Muscle and joint pain or weakness
• Blood sugar imbalance
• Osteopenia or osteoporosis
• Insomnia, sleep disturbances or difficulty waking
• Poor memory or difficulty retaining information
• Irritability or mood swings
• Frequent or chronic infections
• Increased waist-to-hip ratio or abdominal obesity
• Anxiety or depression
• Changes in skin integrity, easy bruising, or excessive
|The Adrenal Stress Index can: ||Five saliva samples are used to assess the following:|
|• Help identify possible causes of excessive fatigue
• Identify underlying reasons for chronic infections
including sinusitis and other recurrent respiratory
• Screen for concerns with blood sugar and insulin
• Help determine if a gluten-free diet may be best for you
• Identify possible reasons why you may have difficulty
falling asleep or staying asleep
|• Cortisol to evaluate the stress response
• Insulin to investigate blood sugar control and insulin
• DHEA/DHEA-S to determine how other hormones may
be affected by stress
• Secretory IgA to evaluate the toll of stress on immunity
• 17-OH progesterone to determine underlying causes of
abnormal cortisol levels
• Gluten antibodies to identify immune response to gluten
Convenient, Simple, and Thorough • Collection is noninvasive and painless.
• Samples can be conveniently collected from your home, office or other
• Saliva is collected over a period of 24 hours, providing more complete
information about your body’s stress response.
• Only the free and active level of each hormone is measured.
What to expect:
Dr. Guberman will send you a test kit containing the supplies
you need to collect your test samples. You will collect 5 saliva samples over
a period of 24 hours. Complete instructions regarding sample collection
are included with your kit. You will need to refrigerate your samples until
all collections are complete. Next, you will package the sample in the box
provided, affix the pre-paid mailing label included with your kit, and ship the
completed kit from your nearest UPS location.
D. Guberman will receive your results in approximately 1-2
weeks. This information can then be used to create a customized treatment
plan and to determine the next steps in working toward your health goals.